~ New accolades from TripAdvisor, Gayot.com and CNN are testaments to the unparalleled vacation experience on offer ~
U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS, April 8, 2013 – Readers of the world’s leading websites and travel news outlets consistently give the U.S. Virgin Islands favorable recognition. Most recently, St. John ranked second among the top 10 islands in the world in TripAdvisor’s 2013 Travelers’ Choice Islands survey. In addition, Gayot.com listed Caneel Bay, St. John among its “Top 10 Caribbean Resorts” and CNN.com placed St. John’s Trunk Bay ahead of the pack on its round-up feature of “17 Beaches We’d Like to be Lounging on,” thanks to one reader’s photo submission.
“We are very proud to receive these recent accolades which help to keep the destination top-of-mind among travel professionals and the traveling public,” said Tourism Commissioner Beverly Nicholson-Doty. “We appreciate the confidence both travelers and the media have placed in our Territory, and along with our partners will continue striving to create memorable vacation experiences for our visitors to enjoy.
These favorable rankings from TripAdvisor, Gayot.com and CNN.com are just a sample of the honors received by the U.S. Virgin Islands in recent months. These include:
- 2013 TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Islands: St. John recognized as one of top ten islands around the world, based entirely on the millions of valuable reviews and opinions from travelers on TripAdvisor – the world’s largest travel website. In total, more than 100 winning islands were named across Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Europe, South America, South Pacific and the U.S.
- Gayot.com 2013 Top 10 Caribbean Resorts: Caneel Bay named one of the top 10 Caribbean resorts by Gayot.com, a news and culture-focused website that provides the latest updates on food, wine and travel.
- CNN.com’s “17 Beaches We’d Like to be Lounging on” (2013): CNN.com asked its readers to submit photos of their favorite beaches from around the world for its “17 Beaches We’d Like to be Lounging on” feature. Trunk Bay, St. John took the top spot after Michele Kontaxes Nauroc submitted her photo of the beach where she got married. Michele and her spouse celebrate their anniversary with regular return trips to the island.
- Travel + Leisure’s 2013 Best Beaches Survey: Turtle Beach on Buck Island, St. Croix (best for seclusion), Magens Bay, St. Thomas (best for families), and Trunk Bay, St. John (best for wildlife viewing) are featured prominently in this leading travel magazine’s inaugural “Best Beaches” list.
- Condé Nast Traveler Reader’s Choice Awards 2012: St. John named among top 10 Islands in the Caribbean & Atlantic for its “natural beauty,” “emerald green beaches” and exotic “native fauna and flora.”
- Arthur Frommer’s 10 Favorite Travel Spots for 2012: The esteemed travel writer, publisher and founder of Arthur Frommer’s Budget Travel named St. John on his list of his 10 favorite places to visit in 2012, which he shared with media in advance of the 2012 Los Angeles Times Travel Show.
- Lonely Planet Top 10 U.S. Travel Destinations for 2012: Thanks to its affordable access and the distinct attributes of St. Croix, St. John and St. Thomas, the largest travel guide book publisher in the world ranked the U.S. Virgin Islands as the top choice for an American getaway in 2012.
- Travel + Leisure’s Best Secret Beaches on Earth 2012: Lameshure Bay Beach, St. John is recognized for its proximity to rental villas, eco-tents and the luxuries of Caneel Bay while offering travelers a hidden beach experience with
# # #
Director of Communications
(340) 774-8784 ext. 2234